content

life (132) community (99) guahan (70) crafting (57) gallery (50) viewed (45) Celebrate (43) album (41) shopping (24) cast (16) oishi (12) hooping (5) growing (4)

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Nightmare in Wonderland: Holding on to my sanity and my island

signs Nel and I made.

My mom speaking up for the health care system!




I've been finding it harder and harder to rest. Tomorrow is the first day I will be stepping back in to a college class after a very long break, and instead of being excited, I still can't pull my thoughts away from the build up. Last night I spent an hour awake in bed, just trying to get to sleep. My first thought in the morning was about how I didn't get to ask all the questions I wanted to. This is completely insane!

Instead of an adventure in Wonderland, I'm trapped in the absolute nightmare that is Wonderland. But really, after hearing what I've heard and reading what I've read, how could I possibly push the issues aside. I cried today thinking about the families that will lose their land and how one day our hospital will be even more crowded. What if one of my family members is hurt or sick? I cried because as helpless as I felt, I knew that giving up is not an option. If we allow this to go on as the preferred alternatives state than we will be way beyond helpless. And as emotionally and physically tired as we get we can't stop fighting. There is so much at stake. This is our lives and our home.


And what really got me was the lack of attendance, of our legislators. Can you believe our governor and Lt. governor weren't there, either? What f-en planet are they living on? It's so upsetting. So to calm myself down I wrote them a letter.


Hafa Adai,

My name is Andrea Grajek and I am a concerned constituent. I attended the last two D.E.I.S. meetings and was greatly disappointed in the lack of attendance from our local legislators. The military build up is obviously an issue that will greatly affect our island. Many people took time out of their lives to attend these events. There were families with children and also students. They went to increase their awareness and speak their minds. I think it would've been greatly appreciated if more of our elected leaders were in attendance. I think it would've made the whole experience a little less overwhelming for myself and my fellow Guamanians if, instead of being surrounded by military personnel and their "experts", we were greeted by the warmth of our own officials.

I find it very disheartening that the people of Guam stood up and spoke, some breaking down to tears, and you were not there to hear their concerns. After all, isn't the very essence of your job, to listen to the people?

To the few senators, who were in attendance, si yu'us ma'ase. Your presence was greatly appreciated and I wish you all the best. Also, I'd appreciate it if someone could forward this email to our governor, Lt. governor, and our congresswoman. I was unable to find their email addresses on their official websites.


Andrea Grajek

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there. This is definitely a very significant time in Guam's history. No matter what happens, you will be able to look back and know that you did what you could and remained inform out of concern for your future and those of your children. Enter the new semester strong and ready to use all the information you soak up in class to contribute to this island. The many students from UOG who have become active and informed make our island proud. On my part, I know that I've never enjoyed my students more. Your letter was a proactive move. Nice job Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,
    Your feelings of anxiety are quite common amongst those who are learning more and more about the plans that people not from here are subjecting us to. I have cried a lot and spent many nights restless with the thought of whats to come.
    Becoming proactive is the best way to deal with it. Using your energies to get your concerns heard and others involved is the best way to keep feelings of hopelessness and helplessness at bay. I find strength in the others such as yourself...because I know that I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to view my blog! Comments and questions are welcome. :P