content

life (132) community (99) guahan (70) crafting (57) gallery (50) viewed (45) Celebrate (43) album (41) shopping (24) cast (16) oishi (12) hooping (5) growing (4)

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Community in Wonderland: More on the Pagat rally

According to the email I received from We Are Guahan, there was over 300 people at Pagat last Friday.  For  a usually complacent community that is a good turn out for a protest.  Considering it was a week day and it was also extremely hot, I wasn't expecting there to be that many people. I was a little worried that not enough people would show up.  Thankfully I was wrong.  This sends a great message to the visiting officials, our leaders, and the rest of our community.  I was really glad that I was able to attend.  This is history in the making and thankfully we had some documentary film makers at the event.

Speaking of film, here are some videos I found on You Tube.





We Are Guahan did a great job organizing the event.  They had volunteers shuttle people from the parking area at the Guam Raceway Park to the trail head through out the event.  They had ice cold water being handed out by volunteers.  They led chants that even I was yelling along to.  I don't usually raise my voice for any reason, but it felt good.  It released a lot of frustration in a healthy way.

And the police did a great job too. You'd think they would be intimidating during a protest, but they just made sure that everything was safe.  We were lining a road during a busy time and they made sue the motorists slowed down when approaching the area.  Someone actually sped through and was stopped by the cops.

As great as the community action event turned out to be, I'm sure there is more work to be done.  I think one of the most important things is awareness and commitment.  We need to make as many people as possible aware of what is happening on Guam. They need to know that the people of Guahan are still being treated like second class citizens by the U.S., a country that has become the world police.  Who will police them???  And we need to be committed to spreading awareness and not letting them push us around anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to view my blog! Comments and questions are welcome. :P