content

life (132) community (99) guahan (70) crafting (57) gallery (50) viewed (45) Celebrate (43) album (41) shopping (24) cast (16) oishi (12) hooping (5) growing (4)

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Just some thoughts from Wonderland: Who am I?

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the future of the island I call home. I've been thinking about what will become of Guam in the next few years. With the current recession, the impending military build up, and the constant decaying of the fibers of our government what hope is left? Well maybe this is the social-political-economic storm we've been needing. You see, on Guam, after the super typhoons people seem to come together. We work together to clean up the neighborhood and we get together to bbq all that food that would otherwise rot in our freezers. Maybe this is just like that.

As a people we have been victims to political and social injustices since our "discovery". We've been the battered wife that stays in the marraige because she can't imagine life any other way. But one day we will find the courage to say enough is enough. We will say, either you start truly considering our interests as a people or we will stop at nothing to break free. Because in all honesty we have let this happen. We have let ourselves become dependent on a nation that sees us as not much more than an aircraft carrier. How long till that is all we are?

There are many people who have been fighting for years upon years in our interest. There are people who've dedicated their lives to bringing our struggles to international light. But most of us have given in. It's easier to conform and forget. I'm just now starting to show an interest in this struggle. I can admit that I spent the last 24 years of my life ignorant of what was going on around me. And I'd like to thank those who kept the embers of our culture, hope, history, language, and people burning.

To be continued . . .

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to view my blog! Comments and questions are welcome. :P